Frederick Phillipse House: 1689 - 1820's


Built at 66 Pearl Street (across the from the Stadt Huys, New York City's first City Hall) this house illustrates the Dutch custom of "crow-stepping" roof-top gables. The house was also built on New York's first landfill "water lots". This became a popular form of expanding the island's shoreline after 1684, when Governor Thomas Dongan granted the land between high and low tides, along the perimeter of Manhattan, to raise additional revenue for the city.