Assay Office: 1823 - 1915


On September 19, 2002, the Assay cover was set in the sidewalk at 30 Wall Street.
A DEDICATION ceremony was held on October 17, 2002 on the steps of old Federal Hall.



Designed by Martin E. Thompson, this Greek Revival structure, located at 30 Wall Street, was first used as the New York branch for the Bank of the United States. Later it became the Assay office where it was used to refine gold and silver into bullion for the government. When it was demolished, the facade was carefully dismantled, and later re-erected in the American Wing of the Metropolitan Museum in 1924 as a prime example of early Federal Architecture. This will be the first manhole cover site to be installed by early 2002.