Tombs Prison: 1838 - 1897


First located at the south west corner of Centre and Leonard Streets, the original "Tombs" housed the city's main jail. It was built over the site of the buried Collect Pond, just above where a pre-Revolutionary gibbet had once stood. Designed by John Haviland, it acquired the title based on a facade made up of such Egyptian motifs as lotus like columns, sun god reliefs, and trapezoidal windows. The building also acquired this reference due to the constant flooding and damp environment of its basement from the natural fresh water springs that once flowed into the Collect Pond. It was demolished to make way for a bigger "Tombs" on the same site in 1897, which was later also demolished and rebuilt as a larger structure across the street.