National Academy of Design: 1863 - 1900


Designed by the Ruskin trained architect Peter Bonnet Wight, the first permanent site of the National Academy of Design was located at the corner of what was then known as 4th Avenue and 23rd Street. When the fashionable residents of Madison Square Park began to move northward, the Academy sold the site to Metropolitan Life in order to follow the trend. The building facade was saved, and re-integrated into Our Lady of Lourdes Church in 1904 at 467 West 142nd Street. The work of Wight highlights early stages in the development of American modern architecture. Wight eventually moved to Chicago where he trained the historical architectural team of Daniel Hudson Burnham and John Wellborn Root.